We hold different responsibilities depending on our role in YWAM. Here is a rough list of some of the responsibilities and the level that we are responsible. It is important to understand what we may be liable for to avoid negligence.
Please note these responsibilities are additive in that if we are a base leader (4) we need to understand and act on levels 1,2,3 as well as 4.
|1. Staff/ Volunteer/ Student||
|2. Outreach team leader||
|3. Ministry/ Project leader||
|4. Base/ Centre Director||
|5. National Director/leader||
Responsibilities at Level 4 (Centre Leader)
- Spiritual life at the centre: Prayer and worship as community, individually, intercession for world, prayer for base needs.
- Community life at the centre
- Work: Missions work in terms of Evangelism, Training and Mercy Ministry. In terms of work down and administration
- Staff: Staffing levels/recruitment and Staff Care and Development
- Communications (external): telling people about our work, recruiting and fund-raising
- Fund-raising: making sure we have adequate funds for what we do and enough to help us expand
- Building management: We often have multi-million campuses and building to manage well.
- Legal issues and responsibilities of YWAM as a legal entity to the government. (Visa's, Charity law, Education law, Health and Safety, Child protection etc.)
In general terms most YWAMers are equipped for the first levels but at 4 and beyond we need specialist skills that are not readably available in the mission. These are often the areas that cause Base and Centre leaders the greatest levels of stress. For example many Base leaders struggle to know how to recruit staff effectively and many have no idea of how to do effective building maintenance.
Although there are many people in our mission with skills building management and legal understanding they may not have the other skills that are needed.
Leadership teams help spread the load somewhat but if the skills are lower levels are missing then leadership teams will also be devoid of those skills in the same way gifted leaders will be.