WELC 2012 Church Planting Breakout Group Notes
Church Planting breakout Group Notes
Facilitated by Kevin Colyer, 8 Feb 2012, WELC 2012
- Helena- England:Forever Team
- Jim- Germany
- Hank- France
- Lorna- Albania
- Steve- England
- Belinda- Bosnia Herzegovina
- Wolfgang- Germany
- Linn- Carlisle
- Corbin- Scotland
- Is YWAM called to plant churches, but not maintain them?
- The answer is a definite no – YWAM is called not only to plant, and maintaining them is not against YWAM DNA. Ideally would be to eventually raise up local leaders. Another question is what is a YWAMer!? Although, being a full-time paid pastor in a church would mean that they were no longer with YWAM.
- Who to cooperate with? How does partnership work?
- It is hard work, but not harder than any other team. Must have similar goal, but also be able to have own projects and help each other out.
- Mixed feelings about partnership. Not a problem with partnership, but with partners! When partners change, it can become different.
- Do we know of a model or way to rapidly get people into church planting?
- How do you go about building a church team or a base/centre?
- Shared vision. Does it work to have the church plant close to a cosmopolitan YWAM base? Is it beneficial to the church plant, and being able to be reproducible, if too many YWAMers come to it?
- Alpha course that never ends :-) Fresh Expressions: Cafe Church in a bar... Sweaty church. Messy Church. Liquid church. All this seems to have a great ability to meeting the need of people who wouldn't normally enter a church.
- Step 1: bring out a statement, raising up profile of CP... step 2: raising people and motivating them to become Cps.
- What is authentic church? What should it look like? What can we not take out of the equation?
- 7 essentials of what a church is: from George Patterson:
- repent and believe,
- baptised and filled with the Spirit,
- love God, Christians and your neighbours,
- Lord's supper,
- pray and read God's word,
- give sacrificially,
- evangelise and disciple others.
- We need to contextualise our church, to be appropriate for our context.
- Hank talked about working with Catholics... have to be able to work with Catholics – for instance having huge meetings in France: but it is made of majority of Catholics. Unity meetings and prayer together.
- getting/creating a statement on the importance of CP from the leadership (Jim!)
- action group to write up essentials for YWAM KB
- read “You see bones, I see an Army” Floyd McClung
- Contact YWAM Church Planting Coaches for help and resources