- Not about music
- Not about instrumentation
- Not about style!
- Must be lived
Thoughts on Worship
- Gathers; focuses people
- Can bring unity
- The power of confession of Truth
- Singing difficult prayers
- Allows a platform for greater freedom/expression
- Room for the manifest presence of God
Why do we have a hard time?
- We rely on the worship leader/expectation
- Misconceptions of who God is
- The good/bad music can affect the time.
- Lack of leadership: lack of clear direction/lack of skill/poor leadership
- Fear of Man
- People are not sure what is expected of them.
- No clear flow
Defining our terms The overlapping areas:Prayer- Praise -Thanksgiving - Worship -Spiritual warfare Intercession
Spirit and truth...
- Hebrews 11:6...Without faith it is impossible to please God for anyone who comes to Him must believe that He is and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.
- Confession of faith
- Postmodernism: feelings/being "fake"
- The unchanging word of God.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- Where do we start?
- Look at our audience...a long work week/ riddled with doubt/ does God care? Does He see me? Does He love me? Will I make it through?
- Songs we may not want to start with: I Surrender, Refiner's Fire; Consuming Fire...
BEGIN WITH GOD/NOT WITH WHAT I NEED TO CHANGE
- We don't change by focusing on problems but on the character of God; it takes GOD to love God.
- Help get our eyes off of ourselves/on to God/exhortation examples
- Step by Step
- Lord, I Lift Your Name on High
- Men of Faith
- Lord Reign In Me
- God of Wonders
- Come Now Is The Time To Worship...
WE MINISTER WHO WE ARE
- Where have you been with God?
- Leaders take people where they have already been with God.
TRUE WORSHIPERS, John 4:23
- But an hour is coming, and now is when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be his worsipers
- God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and truth.
- Genesis 22: Abraham and Isaac: sacrifice.
- To lie on our face before God; to kneel or bow; to show public respect and obedience; submission.
- Public displays of the reality that we belong to the Kingdom of God; our lives are not our own
- Honesty; surrender; no longer living for ourselves 2 Cor 5:15
ARE YOU CONVINCED?
- True Worshiper?
- Walking in the light?
- Is it about the form?
- What is the testimony of God's love and goodness in our own lives?
- Not about feelings; but where have we seen and experienced Him?
- Is there evidence of Him in my own life?
- What do you want? To make good music or to touch the heart of God?
WHAT IS LEADERSHIP
- Vision (seeing the big picture)
- Giving direction
- Having a goal
- Watchful of what God is doing
- Listening and obeying
WHERE TO BEGIN WITH LEADING OUT
- Leaders lead so we are not allowed to "lose ourselves"
- Come prepared, practice hearing God's voice
- Be ready to lead the congregation as well as your team.
LEADING YOUR TEAM
- Define expectations
- Know the musical level
- Have integrity
- Keep it simple
- Two ways to lead a team; but make sure you listen/include/release
PICKING SONGS: FIRST THINGS FIRST
- Start with God: fix our eyes first on GOD: character or exhortation
- Musical limits: what are they for me or my team?
- What's going on? Who is my audience?
- New songs: Never (or rarely!) begin or end with a worship set with a new song; your first goal is to bring people together
WAYS TO PICK SONGS
- Theme: God's love, God as a father, the Cross; thanksgiving/gratefulness (at the end of something), expectation/rising up
- Event: Easter, Christmas, baptism; conference or new year, etc.
- Scripture: Psalm or epistle; the whole worship set will be around this scripture...leading up to it.
- Mixed with prayer/intercession: How awesome are your works; let your glory fall in this room; knocking on the door of heaven; consuming fire
- Support the preaching;
- Ministry Times
WAYS TO THINK ABOUT THE SERVICE
- RELATING TO YOUR AUDIENCE: cross cultural; age? Generational? What's happening in the place...who are your people?
- IMPACT: What kind of prayers are you praying for that worship time?
- THINK LIKE A LEADER: Listen & see the big What is going on at the base? what are the values at the base;
- RELAXED: BE COMFORTABLE with waiting/SILENCE/PAUSE, don't be in a hurry
- BE UNAPOLOGETIC
- LANGUAGE: tone/speed/ use 'we' language when you communicate direction
- VOCABULARY: the words you use; develop a praise/thanksgiving and scriptural vocabulary that is not just "Hallelujah" or "Praise you"; is it 'churchy' or come from revelation
- NON VERBAL COMMUNICATION: body language/gesture; eye contact; facial expression; dress; posture; freedom
- SHARING/EXHORTATIONS/EXPLANATIONS: keep it short and to the point....
- SCRIPTURE: pick out a main point; don't read whole chapters
- NEVER BE NEGATIVE: it's easy to see the problem; it's hard to prophesy a solution (ie. Graham Cooke;
- COMMUNICATION: what are we doing and why are we doing it (listening; waiting; communicate what we are doing...thanking; praising; repentance; receiving his love; meditating).
- Same key, pick two or three songs
- Connecting themes/picking up from the pastor
- Preparing people for "surrender" or preparing people to sing "refiner's fire" or "Lord I give you my heart"
- Transitions and modulations
- Prayers/scripture/direction... short exhortations and/or teaching.
- Keep communicating/explaining (why/what/who/how/where/when?)
- Land the plane!
- Skill releases freedom
- Build your own/and your team repertoire
- Build your team worship times
- Seek God on your own/see how songs fit and what they mean to you personally
- Don't do a song just because it's "cool"
- Don't be afraid to do old songs...known songs
- Overusing songs...