Historically we started with just Steve and Kevin. The initial strategy was to add lots of documents, write help pages and tell people about it! It was very random and meant that the KB grew but there was very little order to all the documents. Some structure was imposed with Categories but they were rather vague
Start of Five year strategy 2009-2014
Goal - to create excellent Knowledge Management
- Create some key pathways that can be followed through the KB. Identify the gaps and invite people to fill them.
- Develop the community around the KB to encourage more participation and transfer of knowledge (measure might be # people making 10+ edits a year?)
- Develop the Vision and Mission of the KB and the Philosophy and the Strategy and the Policies.
- Work to increase the Bus-Factor of the KB.
- Improve the promotion of the KB (measure?)
- Regular yearly Sprints!
There will be one year goals from this...
One year strategy
- make new 5 year strategy and goals!
From Sprint 2009 page...
On going work and Todo's
In the next 12 months (May 2010) Here names are attached to action points but are not limited to that person! + means others/anyone/everyone
Goal - to improve the communication in the community
- Weekly Skype meetings "Hour of Power" (Aim to connect and chat with people) ARNOUD + others
- Monthly Skype Meetings - (Agendared and business orientated) KEVIN and ARNOUD
- Facebook group - Stimulation ARNOUD
- Mailing List (now open for ALL KBians) and Monthly Email KEVIN and ARNOUD +
Goal - Improve the general upkeep and de-cruft.
- Clarify tasks and training to do the work KEVIN
- Set Goals for tidiness of wiki KEVIN
- Set 4 days for maintenance to invite whole community to (Spring clean etc) ARNOUD
- Calculate Bus-Factor and devise strategy to improve it KEVIN
Goal - Keep getting the word out
- Think in terms of regions
- Will continue this in monthly meetings - standing topic
Goal - make the knowledge more accessible so visitors are helped and become more effective
- "Thread" creation. Aim to fill all current threads by May 2010 +
- STEVE Knowledge Management article and take some threads
- ARNOUD SOE thread
- KEVIN Starting team thread and lots of other threads
- + Others should work on threads.
- Write out design goals and general wiki goals KEVIN
- Invite a tame web designer to look and and review site with suggestions KEVIN +
- Seek a graphical person to take on this aspect +
- Evaluate the site using Evaluate your YWAM website criteria each year KEVIN
- Ensure data is backed up properly (nightly dump or Sunday night dump?)
- Each night at 4am the database is stopped and the data dumped on the server (separate physical hard drive). About 10 secs later (now) the database is restarted. Dump data is backup but to an out of office location once a week with other data from YWAM Brussels. --Kev-The-Hasty 22:22, 16 Nov 2006 (CET)
- Improved server performance by implementing an accelerator proxy using Squid. Possible scope for accelerating the php but this server is rather old and rather busy with other stuff. Perhaps more ram???? --Kev-The-Hasty 22:22, 16 Nov 2006 (CET)
- Plus capitalise YWAM in YwamKnowledgeBase - did ages ago --Kev-The-Hasty 23:58, 27 Feb 2007 (CET)
- add a faveicon.ico file to the site. - did in feb --Kev-The-Hasty 23:58, 27 Feb 2007 (CET)
- Seed the KB with 100 articles by Jan 2007 - did in feb! --Kev-The-Hasty 23:58, 27 Feb 2007 (CET)
- Possible server move for performance - funding? (and save my base's bandwidth!): Upgraded to php5, mysql 5 and MW 1.9.1. News server is 1.8 Ghz Dell with 256M ram. --Kev-The-Hasty 16:31, 10 March 2007 (UTC)
- New server backup policy instigated (database dump each night and weekly online backup) --Kev-The-Hasty 21:24, 27 March 2007 (BST)
- Get a domain name ywamknowsitall.net, ywamknowledgebase.net, ywamology.net, ywamkb.net - Done www.ywamkb.net --Kev-The-Hasty 21:24, 27 March 2007 (BST)
- Get the new domain working wiht the right prefix and then remove all BETA warnings - we are then cooking with gas! --Kev-The-Hasty 23:20, 29 March 2007 (BST)
- New Logo by Philip Tregunna on Front page. Small Wiki.png icon not quite right yet - working on that! --Kev-The-Hasty 09:15, 12 April 2007 (BST)
- Get some users? Perhaps at the FofN, perhaps Oct 2007 gathering..., need to get word out by summer or others may duplicate our work inadvertently.DONE
- Recruit people to write articles/case studies/policies etc See: YWAMKnowledgebase:Invitations DONE
- Get leadership at WE level onboard and promoting IN PROCESS
- Recruit lots of ywamers to write and contibute
- Write promotion materials, banner ads etc
- Jan 2008 consider multilingual aspects of wiki
Possible Spin off's:
- WE Comms with forum, and other groups
- YWAM FLOSS group